A. Jonathan Porteus, Ph.D. Chief Executive Officer, WellSpace Health Education: Ph.D. Clinical Psychology Certifications: Licensed Clinical Psychologist (CA, NY). Registered Addiction Specialist (RAS)
A Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Addictionologist, Dr. Porteus has extensive experience in health and behavioral health integration, evidence-based practice and clinical research and evaluation. He also has extensive experience in program development, including outpatient, residential, and systems-level interventions (e.g. creation of trauma-informed initial assessment for NY State Office of Mental Health psychiatric facilities). His clinical practice includes addiction and compulsive behavior, trauma practice, integrated behavioral health, primary care, and behavioral health treatment across all levels of care. As a trainer, Dr. Porteus has conducted training in Motivational Interviewing, behavioral interventions around compulsive behavior, PTSD, complex trauma, and co- occurring disorders treatment and built the Outpatient Drug Treatment system for the Republic of Vietnam.
Dr. Porteus brings unique perspectives to the understanding of addiction, health care, supply and demand reduction, and our current opioid epidemic. He began his work with WellSpace Health as Clinical Director in 2002 and has been Chief Executive Officer since 1/1/11. Dr. Porteus has received accolades for his systems integration work bringing a ‘blanket of care’ comprised of a network of Federally Qualified Community Health Centers to a region with a historically tattered ‘safety net.’ In his tenure as CEO, Dr. Porteus has overseen a ten-fold expansion of the patient population (5,000-70,000 persons served in the FQHC CHCs) across multiple regional Health Centers that are all accredited by the Joint Commission for Ambulatory Care (Primary Care) and Behavioral Health, and further certified by The Joint Commission for being Primary Care Medical Homes as well as Behavioral Health Homes.
Board and Professional Appointments
• Chair. HUD Continuum of Care Advisory Board
• Chair. California Primary Care Association, Behavioral Health Workgroup, Sacramento CA
• Immediate Past President. Central Valley Health Network, CA
• Past President. Capitol Health Network, Sacramento CA
• Chief Executive Officer. WellSpace Health (formerly The Effort, Inc.) Sacramento, CA
• Executive/Clinical Director. The Effort, Inc. Sacramento, CA
• Director of Clinical Research and Evaluation - Daytop Village, Inc. New York, N.Y.
• Director, Compulsive Behavior Program- The New York Center for Neuropsychology and Forensic Behavioral Science. Brooklyn Heights, NY
• Member, Sacramento County Managed Medi-Cal and Denti-Cal Advisory Boards
Teaching & Training Appointments
• Faculty. California NorthState School of Medicine. Sacramento CA
• Faculty. Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Academy. State of California
• Tenured Assistant Professor, College of Education- Department of Counselor Education. California State University, Sacramento. Sacramento CA
• Adjunct Professor-Master’s Program in Psychology. Gordon F. Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies. Adelphi University: Garden City and Manhattan Campuses, NY
• International Trainer/Consultant. United Nations. Drug Control Programme-Development and implementation of community-based drug treatment system for the Republic of Vietnam.
• Consultant to Office of Multicultural Affairs, State of Maine – role of trauma in difficulties associated with secondary Somali migration to Lewiston, Maine.